Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: [OT] Heated mirrors

Paul,

I've installed a devi-heat system onto a suspended timber floor
without additional insulation. Like yours it was only to supplement
the radiator, but the final floor covering was ceramic tiles, not
laminate.

I bought my system form a local tile merchant but there's lots of good
info on this site, including what appears to be a comprehensive guide
(see "downloads").
https://www.cjelectrical.co.uk/

I installed "devi-mat" whereby the heating cable is pre-taped to
plastic mesh to ensure the correct spacing & heat output. You buy a
pre-cut length of mat which you can then shape (by cutting the mesh
only, not the heating wire) to fit your room.

I was very pleased with the system under tiles, I'm not sure how much
benefit you'd get from it if it were under laminate as wood is a
reasonable insulator in itself...

Happy to answer any further questions :-)

Cheers,

Tim.

On 5/16/07, Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Coincidentally, just today I got word that I need to research some
> electric underfloor heating for M-I-L's bathroom.
>
> Just been to the site below, but they don't seem to have an offering
> that exactly fits all the requirements, which are:
>
> Suspended timber subfloor
> Laminate flooring surface
> Bathroom - i.e. wet area
> Regular rectangle shape
>
> The closest on the site below seems to be one of their mat kits, but
it
> does say that for this type of subfloor, an additional insulation
layer
> is required...
>
> I'd really like something that is really simple & easy to fit,
since I
> will undoubtedly be fixing it myself, and I'll undoubtedly be fitting
> the laminate floor on top as well, and I'll probably need to do it all
> in a long weekend.
>
> Note that this is NOT the primary heating for the room, there will be
> CH radiator (and a heated towel rail too I believe), this is merely
> required to provide a nice warm floor underfoot. So, could I skip the
> extra insulation required that's "recommended" - how much
difference