Re: Re: [OT] Linksys router and broadband woes

Cool ...

Thanks I never knew about SSID.  So I turned that all off.

I found out what the problem was I had to strangely input my dns addresses
from my ISP into my settings on my laptops before they could get access to
the internet through the router!!!???

Anyway all is working, but I don't really understand why.

Ho yin

On 11/05/07, domdevitto <dom@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Ideally, in order of importance, off the top of my head:
> 1) Use WPA with AES/PSK encryption and a **random** key
> This should keep out snooping, unless they guess the key.
>
> 2) Filter by MAC
> "If you not on the list, you're not coming in."
>
> 3) Don't broadcast your SSID
> No point inviting people to try and connect!
>
> Also, clients connecting need to be sure that they really are
> connecting to the right AP - so if they ever get prompted for another
> key, or connect without a key, they shouldn't try 'no password'.
> Otherwise a client can connect to a rogue AP, and the
client->internet
> traffic get snooped on the wired LAN segment (etc.)
>
> Dom
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tim
Hawes"
> <timsyahoo@...> wrote:
> >
> > If someone is determined to get into your network then they will.
> > There are sufficient tools available so the only thing a hacker
really
> > needs is a bit of time :-(
> > On the plus side, even basic security will deter the
> > casual/opportunist hacker and they'll maybe move on to someone
less
> > well protected.
> >
> > I Googled for "wireless security tips" and this was one
of the hits.