Re: Interesting video

  • Subject: Re: Interesting video
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:33:12 -0000

I use XLobby and it's been clear that the work in maintaining and
taking the product onto the next stage is way beyond the ability of
one person to manage on a spare time basis.

The author didn't want to open source it.  Its not entirely clear why
but my guess is that the work entailed in controlling an open source
product/project would have required him to spend more time on managing
the project rather than developing it - that seems unlikely to excite him.

Although he is 'going back' on his original intention, the move onto a
commercial footing has a great deal of support from the user base. I
guess that says a lot about the strength of the application.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few months.

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim Hawes" <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Yup, that's the same one :-(((
> I'm not that close to it but I think it grew beyond what the original
> author could ever have imagined. It's very powerful, but out-grew a
> hobby project and the author didn't want it going open source.
>
> It takes some balls to go back on such a bold statement though, I
agree.

> Tim.

paid-for
product.

> > Is it my imagination or was that not the product which was
pitched
as "free and always will be"?