Latest message you have seen: Secuyou Wireless Security System Locks Your Doors and Windows with Press of a Button

RE: [OT] - Best support under Vista...

Sounds like a fair bit of support (if you'll pardon the pun) for
nVIDIA on
the desktop at least under Vista, the cards I'm looking at are advertised
a=
supporting either DirectX 9 or DirectX 10  ...

Currently trying to decide between these:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-79GS
- which is a 7900
series DirectX 9.0 board but appears to have better hardware video decoding
support.

and

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-86GT5
- which is an
8600 series DirectX 10.0 board.

The only slight concern I have is that I installed Vista MCE on my HTPC the
other week and although it installed OK I found that any recordings and/or
playback of live video glitched and stuttered horrendously. There was a
later graphics driver for the onboard graphics (nVIDIA GeForce 6150 giving
progressive scan component video) which when installed simply turned
everything into monochrome blue and disabled the component video output -
and the glitching still remained - however it was a bit worrying that just
updating the driver goosed things so badly!

After that I tried a faster processor - an Athlon X64 4000 instead of an
Athlon X64 3000 - and a SATA hard disc instead of the current IDE drive and
made sure I didn't update the graphics driver but the problem still
remaine=
so God knows what's going on there - I've now gone back to the Athlon X64
3000 and IDE drive and XP MCE on that machine. ;-)

Sooooooo ... from what you guys have said I think I'll probably head the
nVIDIA route.

(Unless anyone has anything further to chip in?)=20

Cheers

Phil
=20

I'd