Re: Asus Eee PC $200 laptop

On 8 June 2007 at 11:46, "Andy Davies" <dajdavies@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Screen's a bit too small for me...
>
> I'm in the process of building a CF based laptop for just surfing the
net,
> reading email around the house etc.
>
> It's based around an old lightweight Toshiba laptop, with the hard
drive
> replaced by a CF card, main thing I need to do at the moment is slim
down
> the Linux distro a bit further and roll the wifi support back in.

"slim down"?  I tend to start with:

http://gate-bunker.p6.msu.ru/~berk/router.html

and "fatten it up".  I've got a few CF images for firewalls, my
xPL
engine, USB scanner server, built from this.  They are quite easy to
create and easy to maintain - because you can test things and not commit
them to CF if you decide you don't like it.

Sounds like you are putting more on your CF so the copy everything to
RAM disk approach might be less suitable - but anything else tends to be
too inefficient in writing to the CF.

-Mark