video cables, connectors, conduit & skirting

  • Subject: video cables, connectors, conduit & skirting
  • From: "JonShaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 22:48:36 +0100

I am planning to run cables for a future projector before the
plasterer
tidies the new extension up.  However the DVD, HTPC etc may be in one of
two
locations, alcoves either side of a disused chimney breast.  I can punch a
hole through the chimney to route the cables from one side to the other or
try to drop the cables down to flue and hook up from either side, however
the cables will have connectors, so how big a hole do you think I will
need?
Is there a better way, such as a "wall plate" for scart, HDMI,
etc on the
most likely side and then a separate run through the chimney?  Do such wall
plates exist?

For speaker cable the method I have used in carpeted homes has been to hide
the cable in the carpet/skirting boundary.  With under floor heating and
boarded floors, is there a way of doing the same?

Thanks

Jon