Re: Since my UPS died...

Double conversion and line interactive technologies are very
different.
The double conversion converts the AC mains to DC than creates a
perfect AC sine wave output.  If the UPS has an electronic fault it
may well go in to bypass mode.  I.E. switch off the double
conversion and pass the mains through via relays with filtering.
The line interactive normally passes the mains through via relays
with a bit of simple filtering.  If it developed an electronic fault
it would stop supplying power to the servers, etc as it does not
have a bypass mode.
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:
> Unless your old UPS was a double conversion or line interactive
type then
> the UPS itself would have been doing nothing with your mains
supply (apart
> from keeping its own batteries topped up) unless it dropped out so
any
> spikes and glitches would generally get through unaffected.
>
> Phil

Behalf
> > Of Mark McCall
> > Sent: 04 June 2007 11:56
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> > Subject: [ukha_d] Since my UPS died...
> >
> > My aging rack-mount UPS died several months ago and I've never
replaced
> > it.
> > In the last 5 weeks I've had the following die...
> >
> > 1. 300gig hard drive in the Jukebox (Was old and maybe un-
related)
> > 2. Rackmount 24 port switch
> > 3. Vigor Router
> > 4. TiVo (wasn't on UPS)
> > Then yeserday after a short power cut (3 seconds or so) I lost
number
> > five..
> > 5.Racknount Jukebox PC PSU
> >
> > I wont know what other damage is done until I replace the PSU
and see
> > if it
> > fires up.
> >
> > This all seems like too much of a coincidence.  Can our
electricity