Re: [OT] RAID

  • Subject: Re: [OT] RAID
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:33:14 +0100

In article <46975041.8040803@xxxxxxx>, David Greaves wrote:
> Under linux you could perform that operation without a re-install but
you would
> have to move the system from the 80Gb to the new raid manually.

Yup, my thoughts exactly, and Linux software raid works *very* well. Even
pretty
serious problems can be fixed without data loss IME.

However, I do find it's better to partition all three drives with a small
boot
partition at the start on which raid 1 mirroring is used. You just need to
make
sure grub is on all the drives, and away you go. I did this on the very
first
Linux install I ever did, so it isn't particularly hard.

Liunux is massively better to have on a home server than Windows and it's
free!

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire