Re: Windows Home Server and PVR combo

  • Subject: Re: Windows Home Server and PVR combo
  • From: Jon Payne <jgpayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:30:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Neil,

Don't really have any recommendations but doing something vaguely similar:

* Windows Home Server acting as file server, backup server and media server
for other PCs (just one laptop and one desktop). It has some issues with
long path names unfortunately which means it's showing file system errors
for my MP3 collection at the moment :-(

* Acting as Remote Desktop server for Viewsonic Airpanel. Tweaking the
Terminal Services setting to allow multiple login and now trying to figure
out how to get the XP Theme on Server 2003 so that it looks 'nice'.

* Server also acting as my hobby software development machine. Bit naughty
that, but I can't afford another machine just for development at the
moment.

* 2 x Compro DVB T200 cards - because I have some, not because they are
particularly good cards but because they were cheap.

* GBPVR - because I use the Hauppage MVP to access music videos. I have NOT
managed to get it going properly with the DVB cards yet... seems like a
right nightmare to set up with so many choices of drivers, demuxes,
settings etc :-(  Maybe it would just work if I used another card but can't
seem to find any "use this DVB card and it works out of the box"
recommendations for GBPVR.

I'm running it on an ASUS all-in-one motherboard, Athlon 64 X2 4000 (65W
version), 2GB RAM (so much so that I can load it up with my development
servers i.e. tomcat, apache, SQL Server, IIS etc), 1 x 200gig main disk, 2
x 500gig data disks. Seems to be idling at 100W at the moment which is ok,
although I was hoping for less, considering that the old Athlon 2400 system
took 150W.

So far WHS looks great for the automated backups, file
duplications/recovery from disk  (although I've only read about the
recovery procedure haven't got around to trying it yet, which I must),
media serving (uPNP) to other PCs. The console is nice, but very limited.
The error reporting seems to be crap e.g.. at the moment it says "Your
network is at risk" because of "File duplication
problems"... great... so how to I fix it then?!  Must be a way of
getting more information, I just need to dig around the forums some more.

Cheers,
Jon