RE: RE: Quick X10 Question

Ian, Kevin, many thanks for your replies, comments below.

No not really, just that they are "available"...

> Yes, you can just send ON and OFF commands to lamp modules  and they
> operate much like appliance modules (some variants do have memory DIM
in
> that they come on at the last brightness level though). The modules
are
> quite differently electrically  though - in that appliance modules use
> relays that can switch almost anything and lamp modules are aimed at
> 'resistive' type loads as they use a triac.  These triacs are much
> easier to damage.  Two wire lamp controllers also require an
electrical
> leakage path through the load to pass the X10 signal , and hence can't
> be used with florescent/low energy type lamps.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the trickle current with them.

> Also the maximum load that a dimmer can switch is much lower than an
> appliance module - this could be a major issue with say floodlights
> which are very high wattage.   I believe  that floodlights also have a
> very high inrush current (the power they take at the instant they are
> turned on) which could well exceed the triacs ratings and damage it
even
> though the steady state wattage maybe within spec. .     As to non
> resistive loads it's a bit of a grey area, some transformers for LV
> lighting do work OK and some are really poor (damage lamp modules) ,
> some are electronic and some of a more standard transformer design.
Any
> inductive load can generate surges and back voltages when power is
> removed. The latter is particularly destructive if not protected
> against.   Some X10 dimmers are better at handling awkward loads than
> others.
>
> What I would say is that if you only want ONOFF and can use appliance
> modules - then do.   The do click at changeover though so are more
noisy.

> Kevin

Yup, I'm coning round to that way of thinking myself now too. Thanks
though,
it's probably saved me some expensive replacements :-)

Cheers,

Tim.

> Tim wrote:
> > p.s. I should've added that I don't need a local switch to turn
these on
> &
> > off, just signals coming over the wiring.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >

> > Tim.
> >

> >   _____

"off" commands rather than