Re: Sat on a Toilet Sensor ?

I think what you need is a "strain" gauge... (snigger)  ;-)
Seriously though, perhaps a better term would be "load cell".

As an alternative, Ian modified a Maplin beam break sensor to indicate
traffic through a doorway (IIRC), maybe you could mount one firing
across the toilet seat and include a timer so it only activates the
fan if the beam is blocked for 10seconds say, to avoid false triggers
due to the seat being lifted etc.
Also IIRC, there's some details on his site at: www.mollyology.com

There's a lot of this beam-break stuff used on industrial machinery as
interlocks instead of physical guard rails/barriers. RS
(http://rswww.com) has a
selection, but at industrial prices :-(

One final off-the-wall suggestion, put an electrode on each side of
the toilet seat, when the person sits down they make the circuit and
you can use that signal to start the fan (a bit like the battery
testers that were fitted to the sides of some duracell batteries).

HTH,

Tim.

On 7/11/07, Marcus Warrington <marcus.warrington@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK.. I need some ideas for a little problem I have.
>
> I am currently refitting our bathroom and I need a way of activating a
> fan but ONLY when some is SAT on the toilet. The fan is a "pan
fan" that
> extracts air from the toilet bowel to prevent.. err.. smells..
pervading