Re: Re: [OT] Email Forwarding

If you are using the 123-reg DNS servers then email forwarding should
be
OK.I assume you needed to set up the A records on the DNS at 123-reg for
your domain to point to your home IP address (this is where you could
also set up altered MX adresses) . If you have changed the DNS servers
for some reason (like I do to my hosting company) then email forwarding
or any DNS changes at 123-reg will be ignored.

You have to consider three components:

a) Domain registration  - 123-reg. This holds details of the DNS
server(s) you are using.
b) DNS hosting - by default that would also be at 123-reg - which is
where you specify the service IP addresses with DNS records such as 'A'
- main address used by e.g. web requests and 'MX' - mail exchange server
address.
c) The services themselves , e.g. apache at your home IP address, and a
mail server somewhere, by default 123-reg, which is where any redirects
would occur.

whois and nslookup can be used to glean information about your domain.

Pete
no connection, but a happy 123-reg user for many years

Mark Golledge wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the response. No, I don't, as far as I know have a MX DNS
record.

> In 123 Reg page I did have to enter DNS but I think that must be
different
> to MX DNS.
>
> Where do I start?
>

> Mark
>
> On 7/7/07, Paul Bendall <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>   Mark,
>>
>> Do you have an MX DNS record for your new domain?
>>
>> Also forwarding to a Yahoo address maybe a problem if your domain
>> doesn't have an SPF entry as well.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx<https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>,
>> "Mark Golledge" <markgolledge@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> I hope you might be able to help with this off topic question.
>>>
>>> I've recently purchased a domain name for a website via 123
Reg.