Re: Low power PC

Do you really need a "latest" generation processor? I use a
PIII 700MHz
machine running XP for my file server machine, and it also runs my
geovisio=
card (GV250) *and* my central heating control server, including the apache
server for the SMS interface.

I have a minimum of programs installed on this machine, and remote desktop
to it to control it. I have never had any performance problems, and on many
occasions it feels faster than my main P4 machine.

If I understand correctly PIII based machines use significantly less power
than P4 machines.

Also, a PIII is a lot cheaper to buy, and replace if necessary.

HTH

Simon

On 09/01/07, Jonathan Shaw <semi.jon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> There were some discussions a couple of months ago about how much
> power a PC can use when running 24x7 and why a dedicated NAS was far
> more economical for a file server.
>
> I am about to buy a PC to run Idratek Cortex and as this will run
> 24x7 are so can I assume that:
>
> * This PC could (when I need it) also run as a file server (more
> disks needed)
> * more disks in the PC that is running anyway would be more efficient
> than an additional NAS
>
> I've had a browse on the latest processors and it seems that they can
> be ranked for Power (Watts and "grunt") roughly as:
> VIA mini-ITX based
> AMD Sempron
> Intel Core Duo
>

> Ultimately I plan to put this into a small wall mount rack.  Many
> desk tops are too deep to fit into a 400 or 450mm deep rack (like
> this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&item=3D250054727796) once their connectors are on the
back,

> I had planned to buy off the shelf rather than build so of pre-built
> boxes  Mini ITX systems and Intel boxes come in about =A3500 sometimes
> with a screen (which I need), whereas this AMD box from misco
> http://tinyurl.com/y3s7hs is =A3235
(No screen)