Fire Alarm Integration

  • Subject: Fire Alarm Integration
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:23:15 -0000

I want to integrate the smoke alarm with Idranet so that I can
switch=20
off electrical devices and switch on the lights and to use the voice=20
capability to supplement the alarm sounders.  I had been thinking of=20
having the alarms as devices powered from Idranet 12-15V supply but=20
am now thinking of an independent system that links to Idranet, so if=20
there is a problem or I am recommisioning kit I know the house is=20
protected.

However to do this I need to isolate the (mains powered linked=20
alarms) to allow connection to 12V idranet system (don't want to blow=20
up the HA)
I'd like smokes in halls and heat detector for the kitchen.

Kidde looks OK but say the relay only works when mains is applied =96=20
is there a way around this?
http://www.yourhomedirect.co.uk/acatalog/mains_smoke_alarms.html=20

The idranet voice capability in the MFP which I'd like to use to=20
supplement the smoke alarm will work with no mains as Idranet is=20
battery backed and I intend to have a UPS on the PC that runs=20
Cortex...but without a singal to say the alarm has triggered it won't=20
work

How can I achieve this? Anything off the shelf or do I need to find a=20
9V relay (for the battery backed) that will operate when the alarms=20
are on battery =96 but will this then not work if mains is connected???

Maybe this is just getting too complicated and if there is mains the=20
supplementary stuff works and if there isn't then it doesn't?

Finally on this thread... how to differentiate the wiring:
For linking the alarms at 240V then I assume I can use stranded cable=20
between units?  More flexible and would be clearly not a lighting or=20
ring cable. Is there a better/ more standard way of clearly=20
identifying these cables?

Jon
Looking forward to finding time to do some HA after the hectic (and=20
great) Christmas season.