Re: Re: CBUS & Comfort Questions

Most things in the xAP/xPL worlds are free if they are just software ,
although there are some commercial xAP apps as well (that just happen to
use xAP as a protocol) .However my xAP <> C-Bus or
C-Bus<>HomeVision
suggestion required a hardware gateway between C-Bus and HomeVision or
xAP , and of course the X10 interface so there's a (not insignificant)
cost.  Going the alternative xPL route is actually mostly software so
although it requires a PC it could be tried for free. You will need an
X10 interface but they are very low cost.  I am not sure how comfortable
you are with having to program interactions between devices  (VBscript)
?  xPL Determinators may help you here too.  There is an xPL connector
for HomeVision too.

HomeVision is not a natural partner to C-Bus without help from say the
HV<>C-Bus gateway.  You may not even need it's features for your
C-Bus
implementation, I am not sure how deep you are into HA.  C-Bus will work
just dandy with switches and dimmers / relays  It's only should you need
to apply more involved  control using say timed events or logic (if this
..then that...) where you may want a C-Bus controller involved.  The
C-Bus touchscreens or the  PAC controller would be the natural choices .
Actually there's some software applications from Clipsal too like
"HomeGate" which maybe worth looking at.  The only advantage of
HomeVision is that it might retain integration with your existing X10
setup, has some other inputs and outputs and it's easy to program and
very reliable.  One of the major strengths of C-Bus is that the system
and its components just work 'standalone' 100% of the time.  No PC
needed.   I suspect X10 has not been quite so dependable for you.

Do you program any X10 interactions currently , perhaps with a software
application or do you use it mainly as a convenient remote control
system ?

Kevin