RE: Re: CBUS & Comfort Questions

Aha,

That's actually quite interesting. So I guess the likelihood is that
trying to get a "press and hold to dim cycle" going this way
would
probably result in the X10 light first either switching OFF or ON to
100% initially, and then proceeding to dim up or down to the requested
level... - which isn't that far off how some X10 modules dim natively
anyway!

Would it be feasible to code around this in Comfort perhaps?...

I'm thinking along the lines of...

If counterXX changes
Wait 4 seconds
Read value of CounterXX
Send X10 preset dim to required address with value of counterXX
End if

Of course this is only postulated purely as an academic curiosity... -
the reality of building a 4 second delay into a lighting dim response
sounds like an appalling idea!!

Paul G.

Of
> Kevin Hawkins
> Sent: 20 February 2007 15:15
> To: UKHA_D Group
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: CBUS & Comfort Questions
>
> C-Bus actually send a single ramp over 4 seconds command to 1 or 255
> when dimmer switches are pressed and held.  This will result in a 1 or
> 255 appearing in the counter as soon as you hold the button. When you
> release the button then the current level within that ramp is
calculated
> and the old ramp command is superseded by a direct set to that level
> which will result in another update to the counter of the desired dim
> level.  For X10 to appear at all useful with this operation you will
> need the equivalent X10 0-100% Dim rate to be 4 seconds too . At the
end
> of a 'hold keypress' the X10 level will likely jump when released too.
> All in all I suspect the press to hold dim operation to be pretty hit
> and miss - but on. off , preset dims and scenes could work nicely.
>
> Also I should have mentioned another software only  route for C-Bus to
> X10 which uses xPL...
>
> C-Bus <> CGate <> xPL <>xPLHAL<> xPL X10
conduit

> Paul Gordon wrote:
> >  *IF* the CBUS switch reports the group
> > level through the UCM all the while you're pressing it, you'd get
> > continuous re-triggering of the Comfort response and a
corresponding