RE: Re: CBUS & Comfort Questions

Yes, in theory, I believe so...

You use a CBUS switch, - this would set a CBUS group to a particular
level... this in turn makes a Comfort counter go to the same value (via
the CBUS UCM which maps the CBUS group to a comfort counter). Then in
Comfort you would need a response, triggered by that counter value
change which as its action sent an X10 command to the appropriate
address... Something like:

If Counter Counter00 <> 0 Then
.. Then place the appropriate preset DIM command here, to send X10 dim
whatever value is in Counter00...
End If
If Counter Counter00 = 0 Then
X10 A0 Off
End If
If Counter Counter00 = 255 Then
X10 A0 On
End If

In Comfigurator should do (roughly) what you want, but there are a
couple of caveats..

- The delay due to X10 signal transmission may be unacceptable.

- The timing of when the CBUS level is reported through the UCM to
Comfort may further worsen this.. - think about what happens when you
press and hold a CBUS switch to initiate a dim cycle... - *IF* the final
level isn't reported to Comfort until the press has ended (i.e. you take
your finger off the button), this would result in very
"unnatural"
operation.. - you'd have to press & hold the CBUS button... you
wouldn't
see any reaction from the X10 light whilst this was going on, so you'd
not have the feedback you usually have to judge when the level is where
you want it.. then when you release the button, the level is reported to
Comfort & the X10 light dims to whatever value you happened to release
the button on... Alternatively, *IF* the CBUS switch reports the group
level through the UCM all the while you're pressing it, you'd get a
continuous re-triggering of the Comfort response and a corresponding
flood of X10 preset dim commands going out on the mains, - and we all
know how well X10 deals with floods of activity!

I rather suspect that it would be fine for simple X10 on/off operation
from a CBUS switch, but I don't think dimming would work terribly well,
however, I haven't tried it, so I may be completely off-target here...

Paul G.

PS: - before anyone points it out, I *KNOW* that the logic in the
if/then blocks above are flawed with respect to the exclusivity (or
otherwise) of certain conditions, particularly if the value=255 then two
of the if/then conditions are true, and two X10 commands would get
sent... - this is just meant as an illustration... :-)

Of