RE: Re: Raid 5 Storage Slow Speed?

Not sure about stripe size AIUI - smaller is better for small files
and bigger for large - but if storing lots of small files with large
stripe, you lose space i.e. it's inefficient.

Gigabit network may help - I have this on every PC/Server with large packet
support too - the network isn't the bottleneck, now it's the drive/array
performance.

Paul.

wrote:

> > Also, what options does the raid card give you?
> >
> > I have a 3Ware SATAII PCIe RAID card with a 1.5TB RAID5 array -
> until yesterday I didn't realise that I had write caching disabled on
> it - enabling this (although less secure in the event of power
> failure) increased my performance by 10 times!!!
> >
> > Might be a good idea to run a disk benchmark prog on the machine
> (whilst not transferring) to see what you're getting. IIRC I'm now
> getting 70-80 MB/sec write sequential which is OKish.
> >
> > Paul.

find files
> are
> never