Re: [OT] 3G ...

Thanks ... IIRC the fair-usage limit is (notionally) 3Gig ...

Funny, how it goes, it's taken a fair bit of digging to decide how to
update the comms side of things (forced by BT ending their Highway
arrangements at the end of Feb' & the fact that my mobile' on its way
out & my PDA is dead, plus a need to do more downloads etc than before)
... now it's clear I more digging to do !

Chris

PS: looks like we'll be going for T-Mobile & and 'E61 & a .Z560 - I
say
looks, because something might crop up when we go to get it all this
afternoon !

Andy Davies wrote:

>Not sure how access from the internet to your network will work over 3G
as
>I've never tried it and don't know what firewalling etc. the mobile
>companies put in place.
>
>Apart from connectivity, I suspect email and hosting may be the only
things
>that you rely on your ISP for. So I guess you may need to think about
moving
>your email account elsewhere e.g. gmail, or perhaps a paid provider
>(probably worth grabbing your own domain so that you email address can
live
>with you forever) and if you use hosting with your ISP moving that too.
>
>Other thing I'm not sure about is whether you're going to run into fair
>usage caps with the 3G provider.
>
>So the first thing I'd do is workout what you're going to do to move
>your email away from Claranet.
>
>Cheers
>
>Andy
>

>On 16/02/07, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Good question ... thanks !
>>
>>Actually, I'm beginning to think I don't understand what an ISP
provides
>>... ... ... all I need is web-browsing, Yahoo! Groups,  e-mails,
and
>>linking to the HA - when it's up & running ... from our mobile
'phones &
>>laptop & desktop ...
>>
>>Chris
>>

>>Andy Davies wrote:
>>

>>>What services are you expecting to get from ClaraNet once
you're using 3G
>>>rather than a landline for connectivity?
>>>
>>>As the 3G provider will provide the internet connection, surely
all

>>you're
>>

>>>going to get from CaraNet is email or web hosting?
>>>
>>>Andy

 Does it

>>mean

they won't be