Raid 5 Storage Slow Speed?

  • Subject: Raid 5 Storage Slow Speed?
  • From: amar <groups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:42:17 +0000

I have a question about raid 5 storage for large video and music files
On my media server.

I have used the megaraid 6port sata card with a linux distro and I am
transfer data to the new raid 5 configuration but I find files are
transferring slowly. I was told that would be the case but I never knew it
would be this slow. Currently its have transferred 277gb and its been
working for nearly 24 hours. Is that normal? Are other people using raid5?
Its transferring data from an internal ide drive to raid5 config - not a
network transfer.

Any pointers/comments?