Latest message you have seen: Are the 'KeyStone' Modular patch systems standard?

Re: Sony Laptop Bios Password

Thanks Tim,

unfortunately no jumpers on mobo :(

re:getting password from employer - nope - have had it for 4+ years, it's
only since the disk started to fail that I even realised BIOS was password
protected - never needed to get into it.

Just to be clear - it's the password to enter BIOS setup, not a boot
password - - - she still boots up if I fumble around and find
"F1" :-) - - -
so I'm hoping I can run an app of some sort that will get down and dirty
with the bios and reset/retrieve it.

....though more googling suggests it's stored in NVRAM, and the only way to
reset it is to Fax Sony a copy of the sales receipt (which I don't
have)...and then they'll give you a reset password, based on the serial
number. .......serial number was printed on one the plastic bits that were
surplus to requirements - so I think I'm out of luck :S ....unless anyone
has gone through this procedure before, and it turns out the reset password
is actually generic - - - in which case, please shout :-)

Cheers,

Rob

On 23/12/2007, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Initally my money was on the cmos battery...but I guess that wont
work
> now. I'm midway through the ressurection of an old desktop PC and once
> in the BIOS it has options for password on boot etc. but these are
> stated as "disabled by jumper". Maybe there's some jumper
pins on your

<rob.iles@xxxxxxx<rob.iles%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Sorry for the second "please help" post in as many
minutes!!

> > One of the laptops come photo-frames has a poorly hard disk - on
boot it
> > shows SMART warnings, and requires a keypress (F1) to continue.
Not easy
> > when the keyboard is upside down and back to front & buried
in a small
> > enclosure!
> >
> > I thought I'd go into the BIOS, and tell it to boot regardless of
error
> -
> > but found it's password protected - - - - the laptop was a hand
me down
> from
> > a former employer - password is unknown.
> >
> > 2nd plan was to replace the disk with a working one - -
unfortunately,
> Bios
> > isn't set to AutoDetect Disk - it's set with parameters for the
existing
> > disk, so this didn't work either. :-(
> >

> > I've spent many an hour with my mate Google - and found several
BIOS
> > password crackers/reset/removal tools - - none of which work on
Sony