Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Sony Laptop Bios Password

  • Subject: Sony Laptop Bios Password
  • From: "Rob Iles" <rob.iles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:12:34 +0000

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the second "please help" post in as many minutes!!

One of the laptops come photo-frames has a poorly hard disk - on boot it
shows SMART warnings, and requires a keypress (F1) to continue. Not easy
when the keyboard is upside down and back to front & buried in a small
enclosure!

I thought I'd go into the BIOS, and tell it to boot regardless of error -
but found it's password protected - - - - the laptop was a hand me down
from
a former employer - password is unknown.

2nd plan was to replace the disk with a working one - - unfortunately, Bios
isn't set to AutoDetect Disk - it's set with parameters for the existing
disk, so this didn't work either. :-(

I've spent many an hour with my mate Google - and found several BIOS
password crackers/reset/removal tools - - none of which work on Sony
Laptops
:( ........the general consensus seems to be that it's not possible to
reset
it - - it'd need to be returned to manufacturer for replacement chip;
seeing
as I've removed most of their plastic, and a few other bits and pieces, I
can't see that happening - so I'm just wondering/hoping one of you has an
idea on how to get around this!

IIRC, no cmos battery was visible/removable. no BIOS IC was
visible/removable (unless you're into un-soldering surface mount
components,
which I'm not)

It's not a massive problem, just an annoyance that I'd very much like to
fix; would be a shame to see it go to Laptop Heaven prematurely, just
because of a lost password! (It's a P2 350, with 128 MB RAM and 8GB HDD -
not very useful for many other tasks)

Thanks in advance,

Rob