Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: DVI to SCART connections

Martin Howell wrote:
> Still wrestling to get my media PC working properly, made some
progress
> but the picture quality with S-video is totally pants.  The PC has a
> graphics card with a DVI connector, does anyone know if I can just
make
> up a DVI to SCART lead by hooking up the red, green and blue
connections
> (plus ground) between the two? Or do I need to connect the horizontal
> and vertical sync lines as well?

Certainly possible.  I keep failing to get round to doing this myself,
mainly because I can't really tell the difference between RGB and
composite when I don't have my glasses on[1].

You'll need an analogue output, at TV-compatible frequencies.  You'll
also need sync.  In fact, you need composite sync, which your graphics
card may or may not be capable of generating directly.

<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/RGB_Scart>
and the links on that
page may be a good starting point for relevant info.  Substitute the
analogue pins on the DVI connector for their VGA equivalents as necessary.

Kim.
--

[1] This is also preventing me from caring about HD to any great extent.
At some point my vision will deteriorate to the point where I need to