Re: [OT] - pc dead

Thanks for the comments. Yes I have seen plenty of comments that 8
beeps
is the graphics - I'm a bit confused what the two short / quick beeps
are before - could it be a long beep that is being interrupted? I don't
know if POST is stop first fail or if it runs to conclusion hence the
beeps following the eight  (two and one). The CD that came with the
motherboard is particularly lacking in info regarding the BIOS.

Anyway I don't have any spare cards to hand but am trying to track one
down locally - I did have a number of contacts where I used to work but
not where I am now (Taunton area). I was given a contact today for
someone that 'knows about  pcs' - they are currently out so don't know
if this is someone who understands the hardware or just knows how to
plug the USB modem in to get broadband to work - it's such a minefield
when someone says 'Joe' knows about computers, particularly when the
recommender is fairly computer illiterate - if you know what I mean...

Will see what happens when I can track 'Joe' down and see what his
knowledge is. Mine is very strong on the semiconductors bit, I know how
to use computers (m$ and unix) but these days is less strong on the bits
you need to put together inside the box.

Thanks,

Laurence

Once I know for sure it is the graphics card I can order a new one -
just don't want to go through a pile of spares to get it fixed!

Rob Iles wrote:
> Laurence mentioned having recently worked on the PC (adding RAM), and
having
> a screw loose (no jokes, please).
>
> If bios is now posting a graphics card error, this would suggest to me
that
> the rogue screw may have made contact with graphics card or (worse)
the back
> end of the AGP slot - - meaning graphics card / mobo is toast :-(
>
> certainly worth trying another graphics card if you have one to hand -
but
> don't plug an expensive one in, just in case!
>
> I'm assuming PSU is in reasonable condition as PC is getting as far as
POST.