Re: [OT] - pc dead

Following the suggestions regarding the PSU I have got out my trusty
digital multimeter and +12, +5, +3.3, -5 and -12 are all present - I did
check Purple (5V), Grey (5V) and Green (0V) wires which as I understand
it are to do with turning the supply on and seem to be in the correct
state.

So unless I am missing something the PSU appears to be doing what it is
meant to.

Anyone any ideas what to look at next or try?

Thanks,

Laurence

Jon Wilkins wrote:
> A fairly cheap suggestion may be to try switching out the PSU.  I've
> recently had a lot of grief with my PC failing to boot, making various
> different sequences of noises whilst booting; sometimes not even doing
> anything except starting the various fans.  I had a spare PSU which I
tried
> that after re-seating everything else had made no difference.
Replacement
> PSU has solved the problem - even though it's out of an old machine
&
> slightly lower power output.    So if you have a spare, its worth
trying
> it;  Alternatively you'd only lose 10-20 getting one just to try it
out.

> jon
>
> On Dec 12, 2007 10:47 AM, Laurence Mason <laurence@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>   The family PC has stopped working and I would like some
inspiration!

>> The pc was on and working but no one was using it. On returning to
it
>> the screen was blank, would not display, touching mouse and
keyboard did
>> not turn the display on (as it normally does). System powered
>> immediately off on pressing power button (no need to hold for 5
seconds)
>> i.e. o/s not running and must have rebooted to POST.
>>
>> Powering on the pc again produces various beeps but no output to
screen.

>> two short / quick beeps
>> 8 'normal' beeps
>> pause
>> 2 beeps
>> 1 beep
>>
>> The motherboard is a M848A rev 2.1 with I believe AMI BIOS.
>>
>> T'net suggests that 8 beeps is related to the video card - so I
have
>> reseated this and also tried booting without - same error.
>>
>> I had earlier in the day added some memory but this had gone okay
and
>> the PC was working much better - XP has become so patched and
bloated
>> (or children had downloaded so much stuff) that it now does not
really
>> run on 256M so had increased it to 512M.
>>
>> I have removed the extra memory and reseated the original and this
has
>> made no difference.
>>
>> I have found one screw floating around inside the case (which
should
>> have been holding down the mother board) - it's possible that it
shorted
>> something that it should not have done. However, I am also sat
here
>> waiting for the boiler to be repaired under contract as the hot
water,
>> but not radiators, have not worked since Monday - it appears the
built
>> in timer is not functioning correctly. On Monday we had a power
cut
>> (whilst the pc was on and it worked okay immediately afterwards)
and I'm
>> wondering if there was a surge associated with it that caused some
of
>> the components to be stressed leading to premature failure of the
PC and