RE: Re: Zoned Heating Control

Anhydrous screeds such as Gylon & Superflo are not suitable for
use as the
wearing surface according to their respective datasheets so some kind of
floor covering will be required. In the 7 months since my screed went down
it has worn quite a bit where it was unprotected. I'd suggest speaking to
your Gylon/Superflo rep to see if there is any way of finishing the screed
as a finished floor surface in a domestic situation.

You can glue the flooring to the screed as long as you leave the expansion
gap which can be filled with cork strips or sealant. I've supplied controls
in many homes where wooden flooring is installed over underfloor heating,
both fully floating and bonded to the screed. In either case the system
works very well. I'm putting some laminate & engineered wood fully
floating
in a number of rooms and have no worries about this at all.

If you fit tiles you should also leave a 5mm expansion gap at room edges
and
within doorways according to the BAL adhesives guidelines - I've just
completed 120 m2 at the new house and followed the guidelines to the letter
as I've been paranoid about the tiles staying stuck!

I would not be worrying about the flood, if the worst happens it is likely
to cause damage regardless unless you tank the floor/walls and install
drains, in essence making each room a wet room.

Neil B.

_____