Latest message you have seen: Re: Base-line power consumption

Re: Advice needed on Comfort, NSI/NACOSS & insurance

  • Subject: Re: Advice needed on Comfort, NSI/NACOSS & insurance
  • From: "yetanotherdonsfan" <nhbroad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:19:11 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Jim Franklin" <jimf@...>
wrote:

> For what it's worth, my experience of insurance companies and=20
alarms was=20
> ridiculous.
>=20
> "If you have an alarm we will discount your policy amount"
>=20
> hmm by =A33.65 a year :(
>=20
> "the alarm must be installed by a nacoss registered co."
> ok fair (i guess)
>=20
> " and maintained on annual contract by a nacoss registered
co."
> hmm perhaps (at =A360 a year)
>=20
> "if the security system is not set or has not been set at the
time=20
of a=20
> claim for theft/maliscious damage, the policy will not pay out."
>=20
> For 3.65 a year saving, I dont think so. I told them the alarm=20
wasn't=20
> installed after all.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:42:55 -0000, Gary Tall wrote
> > I'm generally a lurker here but do find reading the threads=20
> > interesting when I'm commuting.
> >=20
> > We are (hopefully) nearing the end of a near three year stint=20
living=20
> > in a caravan whilst we convert a barn to be a family home.
We've=20
> > gone down the Comfort and Clipsal C-Bus route and will be=20
linking=20
> > both to Homevision (C-Bus via one of Kevin H's interfaces) and=20
using=20
> > FirM to provide remote control.=20
> >=20
> > Our electrician is a medium size contractor and has been very=20
good,=20
> > all the wires for the sensors are in and he is contracted to=20
supply=20
> > the Comfort alarm.
> >=20
> > I was discussing insurance yesterday with my mortgage lenders=20
and=20
> > they have said they want a NACOSS approved system with an
annual=20
> > maintenance agreement.=20
> >=20
> > The electrician is not NSI approved and I'm not really sure
what=20
to=20
> > do now, whether to get someone involved who is or to tell the=20
> > insurance company that I'm not going to have an approved system.
> >=20
> > I've perhaps been na=EFve and not sorted this out before but
I've=20
had=20
> > so many other problems with the build itself it's not figured=20
that=20
> > highly. Has anyone any advice for me as to the best way to=20
proceed.
> >=20
> > Regards
> > Gary

Hi,

By 'NACOSS approved' it probably means compliant to EN50131=20
(probably Grade 2 in your case) but subject to survey/risk=20
assessment. But I will double check this precisely for you asap.=20
Comfort currently has Beta Firmware for EN50131 and hopefully we can=20
announce full release in next few weeks. There is also some greyness=20
to adding other things on to a security system (i.e. lowest common=20
demnominator e.g. a Grade 3 system with one Grade 2 PIR becomes a=20
Grade 2 system). The specs also limit things like what information=20
is visible without signing in (normally a Keypad in a basic /=20
traditional system). You are probably best to register on=20
www.comfortforums.com to get more information and track=20
developments. Unfortunately the regs came out just as Comfort II was=20
being released so caused some delay in becoming compliant.  Nigel