Re: 1 year on, still looking to "HA my heating"

Paul Gordon wrote:
> Yes, I know. It's not really too much of a concern for me.... I
presume
> I can continue to use TRV's on individual radiators?  -

Yep. Just don't put a TRV on the radiator nearest the room stat (which
is in the smartfit controller by default, but you can get a remote room
sensor).

> Actually, if I
> can still use TRV's, then what's to say I can't use some motorised
valve
> heads instead, driven directly via Comfort?... - then with even just a
> couple of these, I can simulate some of the "lifestyle"
settings that
> Hometronic offers...

Ish. Useful for turning "sub-zones" off when not needed, but
because
they won't have the ability to call for heat from the boiler, the rooms
under motorised valve control would stay cold if the rest of the house
is already toasty. You'd have the same problem if you were just using
TRVs though.

Proper zoned control would give you demand driven control of the boiler.
One way around this might be to use a heatbank/thermal store with a
space heating circuit and one of those central heating pumps that can
turn off when all the valves are closed.

> As I said before, our house is internally so leaky that the concept of
> zoned control is a bit of a nonsense anyway, - there are only a couple
> of places (the guest bedroom for instance) where it would be of any
use
> to control separately from the rest of the house, - with a remotely
> controllable valve head on the rad in the guest room, I instantly have
> two "lifestyle" settings available...

So long as the main bit of the house is more likely to be colder than
the rooms you have under motorised valve control, it should work ok.

Jim