RE: [OT] TomTom 910 Good, Bad or Terrible?

  • Subject: RE: [OT] TomTom 910 Good, Bad or Terrible?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:15:02 +0100

Tell me more about the new V2 mount Rob... how recent is this?

I ask because I had (have) a "droopy mount", TomTom had a public
free
mount replacement program shortly after the issue came to light (for me
this all took place about 1 year ago), which they claim replaced the
"original" mount with a "better" one... Thing is, the
replacement mount
I got from TomTom was *100% identical* to the one I got in the box, and
suffered the same drooping problem.

I've "fixed" the problem in my case by the liberal application of
superglue into the ball & socket joint that was causing the problem,
and
since I knew I had another mount to use in case I ballsed it up, I was
happy to try this method. Thus far, it has worked OK and my superglued
mount is still in use.

However, if TomTom have subsequently released yet another upgrade to the
mount design, that really does properly fix the issue, I'd be interested
in seeing if I could get hold of one... (maybe even free from TomTom,
who knows?)

TIA

Paul G.

PS, in response to the original question, I find the TTS spoken
place/road names OK for the most part, with simple pronunciations...
Some things don't get read out quite right, - road numbers are a bit of
a bugbear for me... - you, me, and (probably) 99% of the human race
would refer to the A406 as the "AY four-oh-six" - TomTom speaks
it as
the "AY four-hundred-and-six". Don't even get me started on how
it fared
when I took it to Spain and started driving around there!! - "fairly
amusing" doesn't quite cover it!. Of course f you don't like the TTS
voice, you can easily turn it off & just use one of the traditional
TomTom recorded voices instead.

I agree about the Bluetooth phone connection, although in my case, this
is more the fault of my phone than the TomTom. - My new N73 supports
*LESS* Bluetooth features when paired with TomTom than did my old (but
still sadly missed) 6310i... Not an issue any more though, because I
have the advanced bluetooth kit in the new car now, so I pair the phone
with that instead, and completely ignore the TomTom as a hands-free
phone device. This does of course have the downside that I can't access
the TomTom online services through the phone connection which is a bit
of a bummer.. It's just a shame that I can't pair the phone with the car
*and* the TomTom *concurrently*, - using the car for the hands-free
stuff, but still being able to use the TomTom display as a duplicate of
the phone display... - Bluetooth just doesn't live up to the promise it
was supposed to offer, but that's the shortcoming of Bluetooth per se,
rather than TomTom once again... ho hum.

Of