Re: Zoned Heating Control

  • Subject: Re: Zoned Heating Control
  • From: "JonShaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:14:30 +0100

>If you still have the opportunity then consider bringing the
radiators
>pipes back to central point(s) with manifolds (like those on UFH). You
>can then fit electrically operated valves(24V or 240V) there rather
than
>on the radiators themselves. I used Danfoss manifolds as you can
>mix/match on ports.

OR run cat5 cable from a relay (possibly central) to the radiator valves
and
use an electrically operated control head (as used in UFH systems) in place
of a TRV head.  This is what I plan to do.  ATM I have TRVs but the
Honeywell ones I've used are compatible with the thread piston stroke etc
of
the control heads I've chosen (Sauter, 24V ones to minimize mains issues)
As I rollout temp sensors to the rooms (Idratek MFPs for me), I have the
cable in place to allow me to control the rads (and hence temp).  IMO this
would be cheaper than running all the pipes to a central place and would
enable you to get building regs sign off without freaking the BCO with some
hi-tech stuff that he doesn't understand and may not agree conforms to the
regs.  My experience of local BCO regarding insulation makes me think they
are creatures of habit and uncomfortable when presented with the unusual
&
probably suspicious of any evidence produced.

BTW the electrical control heads are thermally actuated and draw less power
than motorized "zone valves" as well as being compatible with TRV
heads so
if there is a problem you can just switch back, the Sauter valves can be
configured as Normally Open or Normally Closed

Finally if planning UFH in a couple of areas why not go the whole hog on
the
ground floor at least?

2p

Jon