Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's .

  • Subject: Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's .
  • From: "JonShaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:21:06 +0100

>> 'must say, I think a smart-'phone could
>> be the thing ... people have them with them perhaps most of the
> time,
>> so why not make use of that ...

When looking at control options I initially thought about touch screens but
then decided that if I wanted to browse the status of something (e.g.
outside temp) or switch something remotely then a web enabled PDA was the
way to go.  That way the control is portable both within and outside the
home on a common interface.  Where a larger GUI is needed (complex TV
programming) then something that links to the TV seems appropriate.

The nail in the coffin for wall based touch screens for me is price, they
may add glitz but for the money you can do more interesting stuff IMO.
Idratek's new LCD enabled panels offer a reasonable compromise display and
regular buttons,  context info can be displayed but buttons can have any
function and are tactile (can be fumbled for in the dark, if you can
remember the layout of the default menu!!), if I've understood the blurb on
them.

I also agree about the system being able to cope without a PC - that is an
appeal of Idranet as it offers basic automation via Reflex and can switch
seamlessly between the two (not got that working yet).  For more deeply
technical people with more time I think the xPL /xAP stuff looks great.

Jon