Re: Zoned Heating Control

Laurence
If you still have the opportunity then consider bringing the radiators=20
pipes back to central point(s) with manifolds (like those on UFH). You=20
can then fit electrically operated valves(24V or 240V) there rather than=20
on the radiators themselves. I used Danfoss manifolds as you can=20
mix/match on ports.

From the control point of view - I think you either pay the money (and=20
get maybe 70%) or adopt the DIY approach. In my case I went down the DIY=20
route, albeit a few less zones. See http://www.honeycottage.eu/HAhome.htm

So far I have:
Central control (xAP Floorplan)
Boiler control (industrial PLC)
Zones (sensors are Dallas, will be adding humidity soon for bathrooms)
Occupancy (using the alarm PIR's)
Weather compensation (external Dallas and local airfield weather report)
Forward weather compensation on the UFH (looks at BBC weather forecast)

Open window detection and optimum start are to follow, though I doubt=20
the efficacy of the latter on a fully zoned system since if one zone is=20
calling for heat then the costs of heating the boiler and pipework are=20
significant and adding another zone probably is pennies in a well=20
insulated place. Simply changing the overall CH start time based on time=20
of year and the alarm clock setting seems to work OK.

Lehane