Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..

  • Subject: Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:42:03 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Iles" <rob.iles@...>
wrote:

I've just inserted this little bit at the top because having read
through my comments I feel I'm treating you like an HA Jehova's
Witness.  I'm just ranting in general - don't take it personally ;-)

> Getting to the point about UI's - - Harmony offers traditional
Windows GUI's
> (run as many as you like on networked PC's, they all up date to
show current
> status of all devices, and can control said devices).  We also
offer an MCE
> interface (switch/dim devices using your MCE remote control) - which
> *sometimes* comes in handy.

Now there's my problem with GUIs.  What is the point of the PC based
GUI?  If you've automated your house properly, why on Earth would you
want to control it manually from your desk?  If the GUI is designed
primarily for setup/configuration rather than control, then that is a
good thing, but they so rarely are.

Some control from MCE I can see, but detailed control of the whole
system?  Just the things that matter to a user in that room is all
that should be required.  Quick and simple to access and control.
Turn on the heating, set the lights a bit differently from normal,
that kind of thing - not programming the garden watering timers for
the next 6 months.

> The really "sweet" features, are our touch screen displays -
8" /15" LCD's
> that can be wall mounted, and offer complete control of all
connected
> equipment - - think of it as in "intelligent" lightwitch -
which
can set
> scenes, show CCTV etc.

Not for me, sorry.  Why stand in a corner poking a screen when you
can relax on a sofa with a PDA/Web tablet etc.  As for
"intelligent"
lightswitch - it has no intelligence whatsoever.  It makes no
decisions for itself - it just asks more questions.  What you are
really describing is a control that you have no idea what it will do
without reading all the options first.  It's the visual equivalent of
a "Press 1 for" phone system.

> To top it off, add in a PDA/mobile phone/Web interface, and you can
control
> "your stuff" from anywhere :-)

That's better - but I'm still waiting for a suitable portable
controller (my ideal is for a PDA with an 8" screen!).  My 640x480
PocketLoox is very close - the resolution is high enough, it just
needs a bigger screen to support rubbish eyes and fat fingers ;-)

Mal