Re: Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..

Mal Lansell wrote:
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@...> wrote:
>
>> I need to ask James if the other used schema (X10)
>> is supported yet, it may be.  Just run FP  with one of the xAP
>>
> plugins
>
>> for HomeSeer and you're away ..  RFXCOM to HS via xPL/xAP, each
>> individual sensor would appear as a device in HS updating in
>>
> realtime.
>
>> Two way control ie to support a RFXCOM transmitter - would need a
bit
>> more effort
>>

> The one schema you're probably missing is x10.security, which xPLRFX
> uses for all X10 Security RF and Visonic devices.

Yes - I am sure we wont have that as we don't have an equivalent xAP one
to translate too . However all xPL schema can be received 'raw' and
scripts could handle either translation to a xAP schema or just display
on the GUI

<UPDATE> Just spoke with James and he does already support X10 schema
translation between xPL/xAP and X10 security one is translated to a xAP
BSC chema as a Text device - (based on xAP FP v1.5)
> For the transmitter, the only xPL schemas used are x10.basic and
> x10.security.
>

>> As xPL doesn't as yet offer a nice GUI interface this might
>> be a path to try.
>>

> I'm not trying to have a dig with this next comment (and I really am
> not - I'd just like someone to try to convince me otherwise), but I've
> always wondered what the purpose of the fancy gui really is - sitting
> at a PC turning your lights on and off by hand seems like a failure of
> automation to me - you may as well just use the switch on the wall.

I think there are places for GUI's and places where they shouldn't be .
I agree getting the infrastructure of the system all working
transparently and resiliently with no UI interaction is a great goal -
and is also why I love xAP and xPL - well I add those last two words
with a bit of an arm twist ;-) . They both offer true distributed
architectures and in an embedded world don't require a PC at all for
your home to just work 24/7 - which is as it should be.

I initially thought that wall mounted touchscreens were ideal but having
implemented a couple I find that they're not quite so useful for things
like light control etc - as you say a switch is much preferred . The
main caveat is that when someone is seated in a room they just don't
want to get up and go to a wall screen and instead they want either an
IR remote, a 'Pronto' type screen or a wireless PDA or possibly larger
screen. The latter can get quite bulky and the issue with most of the
fancier remotes that have lcd displays is that they are not two way and
hence can't show any status.  The lack of tactile feedback on
touchscreen type remotes is also often raised as a significant issue as
does a confusion of buttons. Also found that touch screen wall panels
for lighting are awkward as they can't be fumbled for in the dark...
even some of the trendier switches aren't as easy as the old rockers
I'm still waiting for the affordable HA two way remote/display.

Having said that there are other situations where the GUI is very
appropriate.  If you have any complex data to display and select -
perhaps like emails, weather forecasts or even more so with two way
interaction like TV listings (touch to record) and music library
searching/play then you just need them and they're great.  I am really
happy with the GUI I have for these latter two and they are implemented
in largish wall mounted or table stand screens.  Additionally for
overall status - eg which lights are on in the whole house or what temps
are in each room, what security sensor tripped outside (and camera
display)  or which pumps/rooms are demanding heat its a nice overall
view. I suppose I just have a little bit of a fascination seeing overall
status screens - (and no I don't want to buy that StarTrek apartment on
eBay).  When I go upstairs to bed the touchscreen shows me what's left
on and also allows me to arm the alarm - should it go off I can see
exactly which zone got tripped and camera inserts etc for outside -
these sort of things have got good SO approval .  I think a look over
some of the screens that CQC and MainLobby/xLobby users have come up
with can be very inspiring.

One other aspect - with xAP Floorplan for example you can login from any
remote location via a web browser (even on a mobile phone)  and check
all these sort of things - set the video recorder, check who's rung, is
the alarm OK, emails  , alter a heating timer maybe and that external
GUI is most useful. I do appreciate a lot of this info eg alarm can be
forwarded 'on event' too.  The ability to remote set the TV recorder /
heating has gained much kudos with SO. I'm sure people appreciate Sky's
version too.