Re: Storage Robot for your Home

Lol.

I've been juggling the various storage option balls for ages now, and I
still haven't decided which way to go.

I thought I'd just use DVDs as backup, but a 500Gb drive is a lot of
DVDs, and with HD movies such as King Kong taking up 25Gb, the amout of
space to back up could get quite silly very quickly.

The problem with RAID (for me) is that the controller might fail or
become obsolete.  Because my storage needs are just for media (i.e the
data isn't changing) I'm starting to lean towards the idea of backing up
with a duplicate set of hard disks (disconnected and stored elsewhere,
rather than powered up and in the same box in a RAID array).

However, the DVD option is still tempting, because the odds of a drive
failure within the first three years are pretty slim, and by then I
could probably transfer everything onto a single drive!

Decisions, decisions...

Mal

Phil Harris wrote:

> I didn't say that it wasn't ...