Re: Re: Remote energy metering

Morning Paul !

Good Grand Prix this morning ... 'saw it on the telly this time,
which is unusual for us ...

>bench-units ...

Yes, we also intend to experiment with them first ... 'would have
started on that by now, but we've had other problems, added to which
when I ordered the modules I thought I'd sorted-out which motherboard
to go for, then I realised I hadn't ... until the 'EKs appeared ...
which I must find time to order, with a case (probably a 'C137, 'cos
we need two PCI slots & three serial sockets, 'though four would be
better, plus room for a DVD reader & a 400M HD) ...

>ADMiTEs ...

Good news ... 'must check Kevin's 'mail again, to understand his
points about functionality & regulations etc, better ...

>hi-fi -

Our old hi-fi is still good, and we can't afford to replace it ...
1980s ReVox multi-room, with RS-232 links for added control &
programming, one to a hub unit, and another to a reel-to-reel
deck ... using ASCII strings in both directions, which need to be
coded & decoded ... it has IR, but that uses an early protocol which
gets confused by compact fluorescent lamps in the second-half of
their life ... so I was thinking of using Idratek to enable a PDA to
do the remote control bit ... not sure quite how, yet !

>server ...

'was interesting to read of your server approach ... as an
alternative to the MiniITX, I looked-into using an Xserve, as a cost-
effective way of doing our next 'Mac upgrade (we're still running
G4s) & getting going with Idratek all together ... but it seems
Idratek needs direct access to the RS-232 buffers, and it's not clear
this would be possible with Xserve ...

'was good to read of David's success with Remote Desktop' & 'Mac ...
we're fully 'Mac at the moment, and I wasn't looking forward to
finding my way in that direction ...

all the best

Chris