RE: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection

  • Subject: RE: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:53:42 +0100

From: Wayne [mailto:Wayne@xxxxxxx]
> Mmm
> 'please wait while I inject you with this little device so the lights
> come on when you want to take a leak!' :-)

Humorous though it sounds, I could always issue RFID badges or keyrings at
the door.

> But seriously, along the same principle - why not bluetooth badges.
> Maybe a butchered bluetooth mobile headset. A detector in the corner
of
> the rooms to lock on as soon as it picks up a signal. The only thing
> that may make this a bit dodgy is being detected by a wrong detector.

Pluto (http://www.plutohome.com) does this.  I
guess it's pretty reliable, as Bluetooth doesn't travel well (the low power
devices, at least).

> But - what about mounting it into a metal box (ok think of it as a
> triangular corner cut out - 3 sided pyramid type ). Would the metal be
> strong enough to block out stray detection?
> I would imagine that they could be decorated as to fit in with the
room
> de core and not stand out too badly.

Stick it in the light switch?

> It might be a bit sci fi - but you /could/ make a badge that had a
small
> transducer so you communicate over it too?

Shouldn't be hard at all.  Might as well just use the headset as-is though.

> (its late - and this may be well off the beaten track, but it sounds
> good :) )

It's early, and I have no common sense, so ditto!

Cheers,
Andy