Re: phone tones and Keith Doxey's help?

Keith

further news, I am on a BT line, spoke to them today, they said i was on
a system Y exchange and the disconnect clear time is hard set and cant
be changed (apparently 100ms). So I guess if its on and it worked on on
my comfort I, is it possible something has changed and I have too much
interference on the line and comfort II isnt detecting the break?

Adrian

Keith Doxey wrote:
> I concur that it is NU tone.
>
> Exchanges now give the called subscriber Number Unobtainable Tone (NU
Tone)
> if the incoming caller clears and the handset is not replaced. This
> disappears after a period of time to be replaced by the
"howler" which is a
> two tone noise that increases in volume to alert someone to the
handset not
> being replaced properly.
>
> Description of tones can be found here
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/telecom/tones/
>
> As it is actually 10 years since I worked on phone lines I cant be
sure of
> the exact conditions that are now present on phone lines but
imeadiately on
> termination of a call there was a momentary break in the line known as
the
> "K break". (Name derived from the relays used in early
strowger exchanges.
> Each line had dedicated LR & K relays but shared the other
exchange
> equipment with many other lines)
>
> Answering machines detect this condition and stop recording. I had an
> answering machine that worked perfectly on an exchange line but when
used on
> an extension on my Pentara it used to record continuously as it didnt
see
> the line break.
>
> Out of interest... is this a BT line or some other provider ?
>
> ***
> >From http://www.dt4u.com/dtsystems/dialupfaqnew.php
>
> "Why will my Dialup not Clear down when I hang up (Auto Mode)
>
> Some exchanges notably NTL have a non standard cleardown sequence
where the
> industry standard K break signal is missing. The only work around for
this
> problem is to switch off your Dialup unit at the conclusion of the
program.
> If you wire up the mains as shown elsewhere, this will happen
> automatically - whenever the sound system is switched off."
> ***
>
> Whilst Googling for info on the "K-Break" I came across
this....