Re: Re: What Infrastruture? - conclusions, almost

Hi Paul,

Yes - I've found the same - good advice.  Retrofitting is no fun ,
particularly to light switches.

Just reading through your uses though you may be able to get some
back in your AV room if you really are in need of some more.. Zoned
audio/video eats CAT5 if you're using balanced distribution via  KAT5 or
similar - although I think you intend distributing audio at speaker level.

3 x Ethernet - could this be dropped to one with a local hub/switch ?
The RS232/curtain closure - are these on CAT5 and could you share
some cables by using spare pairs. RS232 single directional often uses as
little as one pair and bi-directional only 3 wires. If you need
handshaking this will go up to maybe 5 wires.
Also maybe you could use the Lantronix MSS100's on your network for
these RS232 devices ?- (still got a load of these available if anyone's
wanting one..)
The YUV KAT5 might accommodate the digital audio channel too maybe ?

Paul Gale wrote:

> Just had a quick scan - don't underestimate the amount of Cat5 runs
> you might need - I flood wired my house and have AT LEAST 10 runs to
> each room and more in bigger rooms/places like AV Rooms etc. Even then
> I've run out in some places ie. AV Room has the following:
>
> 3 x Ethernet
> 1 x Curtain closure control
> 1 x Whole house music keypad
> 3 x RS232 serial for AV component control
> 1 x YUV via Kat5
> 2 x Composite + stereo audio via Kat5
> 1 x digital audio via Kat5
>
> We decided to use this room as the AV Room after the house had already
> been wired - run enough so you can change your mind later and
> re-purpose rooms - it's cheap to do while your doing it.
>
> I'd also run several cables next to all light switches or places where
> you may want wall controllers in the future - i.e. CBus, touch panel
> screens etc.
>
> You'll find that one of the recurring themes over the years on this
> group is that people always run out of Cat5 at some point in the
> future after having flood wired a house! There's just so much you can
> do with Cat5 :)
>
> Paul.

On
> Behalf Of
> > Jonathan Shaw
> > Sent: 03 September 2006 09:14
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: [ukha_d] Re: What Infrastruture? - conclusions, almost
> >
> > Thanks for the responses to my question. I have collated what I
have
> > learned below - it could become an FAQ with a bit more work (I've
> > indicated my further questions) if UKHA_D does such things.
> > Thanks
> > Jon
> >
> > Flexible Smart Home Infrastructure - a first stab
> > Judging by the "newbie" questions on home automation
and
> > entertainment internet newsgroups and forums the first time many
> > people (including me) begin thinking about enabling a smart home
is
> > when they are about to undertake a major project. The area is
vast
> > and there are many competing smart home products covering
> > entertainment, security and automation each with their own
> > communication standards and wiring requirements. This means that
> > there is no common infrastructure that offers complete
flexibility
> > between various systems. This note is an attempt to define a
cable
> > infrastructure that offers a degree of flexibility and choice of
end
> > system. It is very much work in progress, send me your comments
and
> > I will update over time.
> >
> > Main Systems
> > ++++++++++++
> > Lighting
> > --------
> > Star wire in 1.0mm , 1 cable run per light group/channel. Run 1 x
3
> > core and earth switch cable from ceiling rose to switch plate
this
> > will provide a neutral for the dimmers that need it. Also run a
mains-
> > rated CAT5e cable.
> > Use a star feed also for 5A sockets for floor / table lights
> > Pros:
> > Allows use of following switching and dimming options:
conventional,
> > C-bus, Rako, Idratek, X-10
> > Cons:
> > Will require additional consumer unit space, see Locations, below
> > Questions:
> > Can low energy halogen-style lights be dimmed?
> >
> > Appliances
> > ----------
> > Star wire 1 socket per room for curtain closers or other purpose
> > (e.g. Christmas lights) on 2.5mm
> > In rooms with TV's star wire AV equipment (not used for
recording)
> [...]
> > Loftbox or similar) Plus additional to sites of Video feed
equipment
> > Use data network for streamed video from e.g. PVR
> > If using HDMI plan route from Video equipment to screen to ensure
> > cable length <10m
> >
> > Audio
> > -----
> > Run speaker cable (number of strands to suit personal preference)
> > from locations of audio equipment to speaker locations in
multiple
> > rooms. Also feed cable from (a wall plate possibly in) each room
> > speakers in the same room.
> > Allows use of multi room amplifier such as Living control, Musica
> > when combined with data cable.
> > Note in-ceiling speakers can cause significant disturbance in
rooms
> > above them.
> > Pro
> > Choice of flash multi-room audio or just an amplifier per room
> > Con
> > Phono-level distribution not catered for directly but could use a
> > data cable.
> > Have to make an early choice about speaker location (in ceiling,
wall
> > mounted floor standing) if want to avoid trailing cables.
> >
> > IR
> > --
> > Coax used for TV distribution can be used to distribute IR for TV
> > control - no further cables needed. Some systems also have IR
> > control but these tend use a CAT5 cable bus used for other
devices
> > that contain an IR receiver.
> >
> > Question:
> > Do C-bus, Rako, Comfort, Idratek etc IR devices transmit as well
as
> > receive?
> >

> > Other Cat5e
> > +++++++++++
> > Sensors:
> > --------
> > General Question
> > Do these need to be star-wired back to Node-0 / patch panel or
are
> > they daisy chained or does it depend?
> > Door bell
> > Link this to HA system. To allow HA system to trigger events on
door
> > bell.
> >
> > Security / Fire / Presence
> > --------------------------
> > PIRs, magnetic reed switches (windows, doors), glass break etc
> > Most generic device is a PIR, but choice of PIR needs to account
for:
> > * Pets (do you want to trigger their presence)?
> > * Heat sources such as radiators, windows
> > Door mounted magnetic reed switches or beam breaks can be used to
> > supplement this.
> > PIR location is critical.
> > Use cat5e cabling for sensors
> > Pro
> > Do not need to buy another type of cable, there are 4 pairs in a
> > single cable so adequate for proper security-alarm type PIR.
Offers
> > some future flexibility e.g. replace PIR with IP camera.
> > Con
> > Cat5 slightly more expensive than 6 core alarm cable
> >
> > Questions
> > For security I assume these need to be fed back to an alarm
panel?
> > How are alarm panels connected to HA server? RS232? Is there a
cable
> > length limit for RS232?
> > Comfort is sold as an alarm panel but it allows remote disarming,
so
> > do not think it can be NACOSS approved?
> >
> > Temperature / Heating
> > ---------------------
> > Drop cat5 cable to back of heating controller location and
heating
> > sensors so these can be picked up by HA system.
> >
> > CCTV
> > ----
> > Could use CAT5 or wireless for IP cameras.
> > Consider
> > * Protection of location, from elements, from oiks
> > * Focal length (how far will subject be from camera)
> > * Lighting (will subject be back lit, in low light, at night)
> >
> > Question:
> > How to connect basic cameras? 75 Ohm TV cable e.g. ct-100??
> >

> > I/O devices
> > -----------
> > Consider locations of
> > * Keypads for multi room audio systems
> > * Touch panels
> > * Alarm key pad (Comfort) / Multi function devices (Idratek)
> >
> > If these will be adjacent to light switch plate then could run
> > multiple Cat5e down to the switch plate and coil surplus for
later
> > use. If conduit or similar used surplus could be in floor void to
be
> > pulled through later.
> >
> > Locations
> > +++++++++
> > All data cables need to be returned to a single point (node-0).
> > Computers connected to the network can be elsewhere in the home
if
> > not enough space in Node-0.
> > Node-0 could be in a loft but care needed:
> > * Lofts can be filthy, damp places, not ideal for good
> > connections
> > * Lofts can be very hot in summer and cold in winter - heat
> > certainly not ideal for computer equipment, fan could be
required,
> > ensure vent does not allow ingress of damp.
> > Under stairs cupboard is a popular location, consider:
> > * Cable route to upper floors (may not be able to conceal
> > within the stairs depending on design)
> > * Ventilation if it will be the home of computer equipment
> > * Fire protection (if home of computer equipment) - most houses
> > only have one staircase, if there is a problem with your
equipment
> > your fire-escape could be the seat of the fire. Fit a smoke /
heat
> > alarm within the cupboard.
> >
> > A Master and secondary consumer units can be used to accommodate
Star-