Heating relays and CAT5 power

  • Subject: Heating relays and CAT5 power
  • From: "Simon McCaughey" <simonmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:10:07 +0100

I have finally got round to starting my heating control project using
the
VIOM I got about 2 years ago!

I have most of the software written, so it's time to turn to hardware -
couple of questions :
1) I am basically replacing the standard heating controls with a relay.
What
sort of relay should I use? I see normal timers seem to be rated at 3A,
would
this do the job : http://tinyurl.com/y5afgh

2) The connection between the VIOM and the relay will be about 20 metres
CAT5 cable. Will CAT5 carry enough power safely to power 3 relays? The coil
on the above relay takes 37.5mA according to the maplin page. From googling
it seems to be somewhere around 1A, so this should be absolutely no
problem.

Any advice or experience appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

---
"I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death"