Help : RF Keyfob blocked on Driveway

  • Subject: Help : RF Keyfob blocked on Driveway
  • From: "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:01:03 -0000

Hi,

Hoping you guys might know a thing or two to help me.

Me and the Mrs. Cars are parked on our drive way.

Once/ Twice a month we find that are key fobs to our cars are rendered
useless. The cars do not respond to open or close using the RF keyfob.

I've eliminated battery and car/fob sync issues and it's abit too co-
incidental it happends to both of our cars at the same time.

I've spoken to the neighbours about the problem, but they've not
experienced any issues.

If I park the car on the road, a house or two away, the cars respond
fine to the keyfob.

I'm convinced there's some kind of RF blocker / interrference in close
vicinity to the house but I really can't think of what it is.

The only bits of outdoor kit I've recently installed in the past year-
and-a-half since I've lived there are a Comfort Alarm system (Alarm
bell faces drive) and a hard-wired CCTV camera which is hardly ever
on. The Alarm Bell has a luminosity detector which I use to automate
my lighting.

I know my neighbour has wireless CCTV - I can pick up his signal. That
aside, I've got the 'usual' RF devices - Harmony 895 (RF switched
off), baby monitor, Bluetooth keyboard and DECT phone.

But I'm not convinced that these could be causing RF interference.

Could anybody advise on how I could narrow down / fix the problem ?

Do keyfobs work at a particulr frequency range, which could clash with
appliances ?

I tried a Maplin RF Detector (http://tinyurl.com/y4x69c) , but it
didn't detect anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.