Fw: Automated stairway lights

  • Subject: Fw: Automated stairway lights
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:41:48 +0100

I think the wireless CBUS modules can do 2-way switching - so might be
an=20
option there (no rewiring needed)

Phil could prob confirm or deny this

G.

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20
----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 26/10/2006 10:37 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 10:03

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] Automated stairway lights
.
Category:

Hi all,=20

I need the lists expertise.

Does anyone have any experience automating two way switched hall or
stairway lights?

Our new build has a very dark hall and stairway without windows. There
are two two way switched lighting circuits installed, one with a
switch at each end of the hall, the other with a switch at the top and
bottom of the stairs.  All standard domestic lighting, using mains
halogen downlighters.=20

I'd like to have movement sensitive lighting on both hall and stair
lights, with an auto switch off of 1 minute after last movement detected.

The initial plan was PIR ceiling sensors with X10 micro modules behind
the existing switches, with a CM11 in the system to provide the
control.  However reading the recent thread about what people would
change if they could do things again, I was slightly concerned about
the tales of X10 unreliability.=20

I can't rewire to a proper bus system as its a new build and my wife
would kill me, so I'm after suggestions or experience for other ways
to go. We bought the place when fully built, so had zero input into
the build process, or it would have been floodwired from scratch!

I'm happy with a couple of simple light switching PIRs in the system,
if I could find one that will work with two way switching.=20

Requirements are:
No control via PC.=20
Low ish cost (as usual)
Cbus Ulti would work, but is v expensive at =A3150 per switch plus
sensors and other gubbins.

Help, because I can't work out an easy way to do what I think should
be a fairly simple job!

Cheers,=20

Simon=20

all the Cool Stuff, in one Place=20