Re: Boiler Issues

Chris Miles wrote:
> I wired up the new boiler programmer (drayton) and its all ok. I can
switch the hot water on and off, and the heating on and off.
> The hot water works good and the tank upstairs does its thing.
> Now the boiler in the kitchen which is for the radiators.. When I
switch it on the pilot lights, it stays on for about 20 seconds
> and goes off again. During that 20 seconds lots of steam comes out the
vent in the garden very quickly. The radiators do not
> get hot. My logic is telling me that there is no water getting into
the boiler like switching a empty kettle on, some quick steaming
> and then straight off again. When I tap the intake pipe it sounds
hollow though which again indicates that the water is not getting
> to it.
> The boiler was just replumbed in before we fitted the kitchen a few
months ago, but it has not actually been tested out.
> any suggestions or ideas before I get onto the plumber?

Is it a system boiler (with pump built in), or is the pump elsewhere?
Does the pump run when the boiler kicks in?

Is it vented or unvented? Have you put any water in the radiator system
yet?! If it's vented you'll have a feed and expansion tank in the loft,
fed from the incoming main via a float valve - so the tank should be
nearly full. If unvented, there will be a filling loop near/on the
boiler, and a pressure gauge which should read around 1-1.5 bar when
cold. Don't forget the corrosion inhibitor...

Jim