Re: RFC: I need coax in every room vs. distribute TV via network

Hi Jon,

> Any chance of an explanation of some of those terms (for the
uninitiated!)

Sorry. Here it comes:

> VDR?

VideoDiskRecorder: A unix based system providing recording and viewing
for Digital-Satellite (DVB-S) and Digital-Terresterial (sp?) DVB-T. Can
act as a streaming server. It has lots of plugins and addons.

http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/links.htm

Most people use VDR as a set-top box, I prefer it as a central server,
with a silent Hauppauge MediaMVP as the set-top box.

http://www.loggytronic.com/vomp.php

> VLC?

VideoLAN Client: A multi-OS media player working under Windows, Linux,
MacOS. Very good as a streaming client or streaming server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

I use it for watching TV on my computer, and on the big screen in my HT.

> multiswitch?

Correct spelling should have been multi-switch. Sorry.

If you have a satellite dish and you want to support more than 4
receivers, you feed 4x cables LNB into a multiswitch. The multiswitch
allows n-receivers to be connected to it, for example a 5/8 allows for
the 4 incoming cables from the LNB + 1 from your terresterial aerial
coming in, and 8 cables going out to the receiver, and each receiver
could view a different programm.

Unfortunately, I can't find a link to the english Wikipedia, but if you
are able to understand german, try
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multischalter
for a better explanation.

I am sure I made tons of mistakes, but hopefully got the definition half
right ;-)
--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt