Re: Door bell ring/sound/speak?

Paul Gale wrote:

> I was thinking of changing the way the door bell is announced
> (through Comfort currently). It rings the phones and sounds a tone on
> the Comfort keypads. This sounds pretty awful (like world war 3
> breaking out!) but has the desired effect.

If yours is world war 3, mine is a scene from Aliens.... I've got
beepers and xenon strobes in each room, a vibrating bed,
"Doorbell!"
flashing up on a LED matrix sign, instant messages popping up on the
computers, oh and the ding-dong of the bell itself.  This works
fantastically well, unless parcelfarce/royal snail/shittylink/etc have a
trained ninja with an allergy to bellpushes on delivery duty that day.

> Was wondering whether to mute that all and just have an announcement
> on the whole house audio system or maybe just use a futuristic
> sounding tone/music etc play, along with an announcement.
>
> Does anyone use something like this that sounds good and doesn?t
> quickly become annoying (like a lot of sounds I can imaging would!)?

Definitely not what you're after, but a sample from Emu's Pink Windmill
springs to mind...  :)

> Maybe some of the star trek computer noises!!!

I suspect a distinctive but inoffensive tone or bell would be better
than voice.  When I was a student I had a flatmate who had assorted star
trek samples on his ICQ client, and the boatswain's whistle was
particularly effective at being audible from the kitchen over cooking
noise, even at relatively modest volume levels.

Kim.