Re: Underfloor heating and HA control?

  • Subject: Re: Underfloor heating and HA control?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:11:05 -0000

Nigel:

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@...> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the information, it confirms a lot of my thinking...
>
> In Summary it would seem the most critical part of the design is
> insulation and that provides benefit all year round in stable
> temperatures, even in the summer! My house is not completely sealed
yet,
> issues with windows and soffit, but during the summer it was cooler
> inside than outside. Only after a month of very high external
> temperatures did the internal temperatures creep up beyond ideal... My
> concern is that normal living will add to the heat in the house,
baths,
> showers, even fridges and freezers. I doubt the cooker would get a lot
> of use during a heat wave though?

Yes, it really is worth doing the insulation well if you are building.
It's much cheaper to add a bit more then and it's VAT free!

Clealy activity inside does generate heat but in the summer we do open
windows and get a draught (MHRV is switched to extract only).  I think
what the insulation does in the summer is minimise solar gain on the
structure.  My loft often exceeds 40 deg C in summer (hit 48 in July)
but it doesn't get through to the bedrooms (A friend of mine told me
that in Australia they insulate both the rafters AND joists in the
roof to minimise same!)

> I notice you always heat, albeit to relatively low temperatures (16 -
18
> deg C) at times. I have always assumed this is the best way. My
parents
> constantly turn on and off their CH and you are constantly
experiencing
> the lag.

Well, its set that way just in case but in practice it's rarely if
ever on at those times as the floor slab is just gently radiating heat
through the day.

> You also confirm the need for MVHR in the house to control
ventilation.
> Different people have different personal stragies with windows, it
would
> seem the MVHR can reduce the randomness of people opening windows...
It
> probably also makes the house freasher without the issue of draughts
> associated with windows.

Absolutely!

How do you operate the MVHR, is that on a timer
> of some sort?

No, MHRV is designed to be continuously on - I seem to recall it
consumes about 40W though I've never actually checked it.  In theory
it saves its own consumption costs through heat saved in the
exchanger.  But it really improves the air quality - fresh air and no
condensation.

> I would argue you have quite sophisticated control of your system
albeit
> distributed across several programmable thermostats ;-)

Actually you're right :-)

> I hope I will be as please with my heating system.

I hope you are too - house sounds like it's coming on nicely.