RE: Underfloor heating and HA control?

  • Subject: RE: Underfloor heating and HA control?
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:59:01 +0100

Type of underfloor should not be an issue Paul as all systems will use
manifold distribution system where each loop of pipe can have its own
thermo-electric actuator fitted for full zone control.

The manifold will also be fitted with a manually controlled mixing valve
that delivers warm water to the UFH system rather than full boiler
temperature water so direct control of this is not required.

You will need to control the manifold pump and provide a demand signal back
to the boiler. Most UFH manufacturers have a wiring centre that includes a
pump relay and makes wiring up the system with conventional stats and
programmers easy.

If you want to roll your own HA solution then you would still use the
wiring
centre to keep things straight forward but replace stats and clocks with
your own temperature measurement and relay switching systems.

Now for the advert.....

Or if you want a commercially available system then it could be worthwhile
looking at Hometronic - you could guess I would get around to this at some
stage :-)

This system would include all of the modules you would need to control both
the new underfloor system and existing heating and allow you to zone the
original system down to room level if you want to go that far. It would
replace all wiring centres, stats, programmers and timeclocks. HA
integration could either be via simple electrical integration (volt-free
inputs/outputs) or possibly via the webserver if you wanted to hack the
protocol a little. There is no direct support for the hacked approach but
I'm sure this would not pose to much problem with some help from other list
members.

It will cost much more than a diy approach and does not offer as much
flexibility or the same academic challenge, but it will work out of the box
and the wireless aspect of the system should allow very simple
installation.

Feel free to drop me questions off-list.

Neil B.