Re: Eltima Serial to Ethernet Connector and Virtual Serial Port Driver

  • Subject: Re: Eltima Serial to Ethernet Connector and Virtual Serial Port Driver
  • From: "Geoff H" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:13:12 +0100

I haven't used this product but I have used the Alpha Micro
netport that uses the same principle. This is a hardware
serial - ethernet device that uses a virtual com port on the
PC to redirect RS232 traffic over TCP/IP.

They work pretty well and are transparent in use, providing
the PC application recognises the com port number. I found
that some programs will only accept COM 1 to COM 4.

To use it, you have to install the virtual com port as a service.
Thus, when the virtual com port is accessed by any program it
is automatically redirected to the network.

Another company with useful network devices are lantronix.com

They have modules that accept secure connections but are more for
people who enjoy playing around with electronics, rather than looking for
a solution in a box.

HTH

Geoff

On 7 Oct 2006 at 23:41, Shaf Ali wrote:

> Whilst going through some of my dumps/disk cleaning I came across
these two bits of interesting software :