slilencing sky+

  • Subject: slilencing sky+
  • From: "Erik Carlson" <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 08:45:38 +0100

Dear Collective, I hope you can help me.

I recently upgraded to sky HD and retired my old sky+ box to the
bedroom on sky's multi-room contract. Trouble is SWMBO reckons she can
hear the fan at night keeping her awake, she then keeps me awake and
as a consequence we're turning the box off at night. This is bad for
the box and upsets sky who like the box to phone home at night and
insist on writing to me to tell me how much they miss it phoning home
and won't I please fix it or else.

So I am looking for ways to quieten the fan. I have found a 40mm fan
of the right voltage from quietpc.com and will also buy some rubber
shock absorby bolts to suspend the fan instead of screws, however I
don't recognise the connector type that the sky+ uses to connect to
the motherboard. I could cut and tape wires, but it don't like doing
this in such close proximity to the PSU. Really I'd like to buy the
correct connector for the job. Does anybody recognise the type of
connector used by the sky+ fan? I've taken a very bad picture and put
it up at www.erik.co.uk/sky+fan.jpg. Apologies for the bad image, the
connector is tiny, it was dark when i took the picture,  and i didn't
have a hand free to steady the camera. Still you can get the drift.

Please help return harmony to my household.

Cheers
Erik

--
Erik Carlson (erik@xxxxxxx) http://www.erik.co.uk