Number of cables per conduit?

  • Subject: Number of cables per conduit?
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 08:59:09 -0000

Are there any guidelines on the number of cables (Cat5, CT100, speaker
etc) that will fit into 20 or 25 mm conduit?

Common sense suggests that the conduit cannot be filled to the max, but
what is the practicle limit?  9 x 5mm cables in 20 mm conduit?
Does it help to pull a bundle through at a time?

I am thinking of running a 40mm waste pipe as a main conduit from Node0
along the length of the house.  The joists are 180mm deep so can use a
45mm hole if my reading of building regs is right. I was then going to
spur off 20/25mm conduit from this into the walls to the various
outlets.  Does this sound OK?

TIA
Jon